December 18, 2012

One thing I learned today: I have received many wonderful gifts lately -
an injury that forces me to slow down and appreciate what functionality my body does have, including the incredible sensation of being able to walk on my own two feet;
frustration from others whom I do not understand that makes me examine my own my own motives and values more closely, while granting me an opportunity to practice kindness and compassion even when it feels difficult and undeserved (it is always deserved);
the unimaginable anguish of a disease that has shaped me into a person with great resiliency, grit, compassion, and, most importantly, empathy;
the challenge of a situation that is not suited to my strengths, but has forced me to realize ways in which I can grow;
the intellectual challenges afforded by trying things which are not inherently easy to me;
the realization that the world does not always externally validate sincerity, hard work and kindness, which has forced me to find other, ultimately far more powerful motivation to cultivate those traits.

One thing I'm grateful for: Radical acceptance.

No comments:

Post a Comment